your RIG

12 years 10 months ago #8 by {FF}dreed129
If you guys don't mind, can you post what your average ping on FF is and what city/state you live in. I am curious to compare the rigs and locations to the pings.

Thanks,

-- dreed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #9 by {FF}CTP
To the BFBC2 server is about 15ms, to CoD4 server is about 40-50.

I live in Laurens, South Carolina, USA.

12 years 10 months ago #10 by {FF}CTP
Well BFBC2 adds 100ms during gameplay automatically as part of a system that seeks to make gameplay "equal" amongst all players at all times. Their system does not work in my opinion. I.E. During gameplay your ping will show approximately 100 higher than when you signed in.

Also, BFBC2 offers no "console" as Call of Duty does. They instead offer a proprietary gameplay experience that is not easily discoverable by the end user. There is no way to show your FPS to yourself other than a third party application such as Fraps (which of course taints any impartial results).

To see your supposed FPS in BFBC2 use a 3rd party application such as Fraps.

12 years 10 months ago #11 by {FF}dreed129

I thought ping and FPS where two different things?

What I am curious about is how do I get a 50-60 ping in the game when mine is usually around 200. If I go one on one with someone with a ping around 50-70 I don't stand a chance. Can I lower my "BFBC2 ping" by building a faster computer?

-- dreed
Attachments:

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #12 by {FF}CTP
Right on Noodles.

A new build *might* help with ping.

There is a lot of debate about efficacy of "gaming" network cards , but the theory is that a better network card will give more consistent ping and the quality of the circuit paths results in faster ping as well. In the case of gaming NICs, a lot of the network stuff your processor usually handles is offloaded to a dedicated processor on the card. The point is that a superior network card, whether onboard or off, should help somewhat with ping.

Another element in ping count is extra stuff clogging up your bandwidth, such torrenting while you play, program updates while you play, anything that access the network. In the modern world that is just about everything on your computer :)

And yet another is firewalls and anti-virus programs. If you have a firewall running on the box, then you go through a router which acts as another firewall, and all your packets are being examined by your anti-virus, there are many opportunities for latency to be introduced.

I don't know about gaming routers.