How many frames per second can the human eye

7 years 3 months ago #1 by {FF}The_Corfu
How many frames per second can the human eye really see?
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-many-frames-per-second-can-the-human-eye-really-see/

But out in the periphery of our eyes we detect motion incredibly well. With a screen filling their peripheral vision that’s updating at 60 Hz or more, many people will report that they have the strong feeling that they’re physically moving. That’s partly why VR headsets, which can operate in the peripheral vision, update so fast (90 Hz).

“Certainly 60 Hz is better than 30 Hz, demonstrably better,” Busey says. So that’s one internet claim quashed. And since we can perceive motion at a higher rate than we can a 60 Hz flickering light source, the level should be higher than that, but he won’t stand by a number. “Whether that plateaus at 120 Hz or whether you get an additional boost up to 180 Hz, I just don’t know.”

“I think typically, once you get up above 200 fps it just looks like regular, real-life motion,” DeLong says. But in more regular terms he feels that the drop-off in people being able to detect changes in smoothness in a screen lies at around 90Hz. “Sure, aficionados might be able to tell teeny tiny differences, but for the rest of us it’s like red wine is red wine.”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 11 months ago #2 by {FF}Aman
Good info,thanks The_Corfu!

6 years 11 months ago #3 by {FF}Grave-Protocol
Gaming at 60hz still looks kind of flickery to me. I haven't tried a 120hz screen yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #4 by {FF}Grave-Protocol